Friday, September 15, 2006

Sania walks the ramp

Sania Mirza makes news whether she is on or off the tennis court as on Friday, she chose to be on the ramp, wearing clothes she had herself helped design.

Mirza, World number 70, who had enrolled to be a journalist in college but has turned a designer instead.

She herself walked the ramp to show the collection to her home crowd in Hyderabad.

"You will see that we have used a lot of bright colours, just to keep it light and keep the mood going," said Mirza.

Game of more interest

But it is not so much the clothes, but Sania's game itself that is perhaps more of interest or rather concern just now that Sania is slipping in the rankings ladder.

"I have matured as a player. As far as ranking is considered, it is a different thing and it keeps going up and down and there is nothing much I can do about it," said Mirza.

Sania says it does not matter that she has not won a title in 2006.

"I am 19 years old and I am not over the hill that suddenly I need to say that I cannot win a slam in singles. I might retire and I might never win a slam but that is not what we play for. Two years ago, no one ever thought I would be in the top 31 and again you are back to square one,'' said Mirza.

Sania would be in action before the Kolkotta crowd at the Sunfeast Open that starts next week.

No comments: