Sunday, September 24, 2006

Sania credits her doubles performance to Huber

Upbeat after her doubles victory at the Sunfeast Open, Indian tennis ace Sania Mirza today hoped that she would claim the singles title in the next edition of the Sunfeast Open."Any title is special. But this is my first title in Kolkata. And hopefully, I'll come back next year and win the singles," Sania said after partnering South African Liezel Huber to the doubles title with a straight set decimation of Ukraine's Yulia Beygelzimer and Yuliana Fedak at the USD 175,00 WTA Tour event.

Bubbling with new-found energy after the match, Sania paid tributes to the crowd at the Netaji indoor stadium for their constant support to her.

Asked which were her best moments at the championship, Sania said, "the noise that I heard every time I came on court was indeed great. Even yesterday when I was losing (to Martina Hingis in the singles semifinal) they were cheering me to the last point.

"It gives us a good feeling that we can bring smiles to our fans," she said. Praising Huber, who is her mentor on the WTA Tour, the Hyderabad-based girl said "she is a great doubles player. I have learnt a lot from her. My doubles game has improved because of her." Sania said her partnership with Virginia Ruano Pascual in the maiden edition of the tournament last year had also been an educative experience.

Asked about the inconsistency in her game, Sania replied, "it happens. I can play ten minutes of good tennis and three hours of bad tennis." However, the numero uno Indian women's player asserted that she did not play poorly against Hingis last night.

"Today I was seeing my match against Hingis. And I think the score didn't indicate how I played." Huber, who has won three doubles titles with Sania, said, "it is hard to believe that she is only 19. To have three doubles titles at such a young age is creditable."

No comments: