Friday, September 22, 2006

I play well under pressure: Sania

Upbeat after getting past the higher-ranked Aravane Rezai to move into the Sunfeast Open Semi final, fifth seed Sania Mirza today said that her best comes out whensever she is under pressure.

"I always play a little better when I am down," Sania said at the psot-match media conference, when asked about the turnaround in her form.

Trailing 1-4 in the second set against Rezai, seeded one rung above her in the $ 1,75,000 event, Sania went on to win 6-4 7-5 to reach the semifinals, for the first time this season.

In the second round tie against Sandra Kloesel also, Sania had lifted her game in the last five games after falling behind the German.

"I am just happy to be in the semi-finals," Sania said, adding that there was no real turning point in the match.

Sania conceded that there was very little difference between the two contestants.

"It was just a matter of a few points here and there. Rezai has a great backhand, one of the best in women's tennis, which matches my forehand. We are both aggressive," she said.

Sania said she generally tried to keep the ball away from Rezai's backhand.

"I was trying to avoid playing backhand to backhand as that point I would have never won," she added.

No comments: